Though the temperatures have been very cold for this time of year, most of us are starting to peek into the summer schedule and beginning to anticipate the various activities that open up to us in the warm months ahead.
There is also a fair amount of conversation around “pulling back” which has an element of truth but also causes me some concern.
As I shared with the congregation yesterday, we do not intend to “pull back” during the summer in terms of our investment in the services, whether in the messages, the worship or the ministries that are offered, and we dare not think that God will take a “vacation” from His presence with us!
I know this is something that has to be held in a bit of a dynamic tension with the need for rest and even retreating from full engagement during this season. However, I also fear the consequences of our seeing this as a time of drifting along when so much is at stake and especially now when we feel the momentum of the Spirit in our church.
Maybe I just need help with this. It wouldn’t be the first time! However, I pray that we’re able to continue to move ahead with the plans that are shaping up for the fall, continue to invest in individuals because they will always be with us, and yet at the same time, enjoy the moments that we’ll have when we can relax and celebrate just being with the Lord. It’s a paradox for sure, but one that I feel more this year than most.
Blessings,
Pastor Jay
The Summer Paradox
Monday, May 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment