Just the other day, I was in the neighborhood with my family and encountered one of our friends who I hadn’t seen in a while.
This particular person is friendly, soft-spoken and extremely physically fit! He’s a muscular person on a big frame and quite imposing in that regard.
However, when I saw him this time I could tell that he had obviously lost some weight and also had apparently shaved his head for the summer (or so it appeared).
In fact, the conversation revealed that he had contracted cancer and was undergoing intense therapy at the time.
A year ago, I could not have imagined a more physically fit person or, in other words, someone less likely to be in this position in such a short while.
Beyond the obvious summons to pray and reach out to him in some way, it also reminded me of the fact that every single day of good health is a gift from God for which we ought to stop and give specific praise. My natural inclination is to assume that things are always going to be the same when in fact we have no guarantees that that is the case.
If you’re enjoying a run of good health, stop right now and thank the Lord for every part of your physical body, which houses the Holy Spirit, and how beautifully and wonderfully you are made. It’s a good time to give thanks to the Lord for His goodness in your life and to know that He’ll be there for you if things should become difficult.
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
The Uncertainty of Life
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment