Once I arrived, though late because of the difficult conditions, the staff was pleasant and efficient. I was immediately taken to an examine room and asked several relevant, but predictable questions by the nurse. Before she even finished,
the neurosurgeon (who will remain anonymous) entered the room and began the examine with prolonged eye-contact and a pleasant smile.
To my surprise, he thoroughly examined all of my films; did a routine but careful physical check and then asked numerous thoughtful questions, while listening intently to my answers. He seemed to really want to KNOW my situation.
I had been prepared to expect the doc to 'lateral' my case to another colleague; but instead he carefully reexamined several films and performed more basic reflex
tests. He took the time to show me where he felt my persistent issues where coming from which was not where I had been led to focus previously.
It became clear to me that he had every intention of trying to find some answers to a chronic condition that has led three other very capable men to a 'dead end'. This, from a very well-known physician, who routinely treats very high profile individuals from around the region, if not the country.
I left the session having spent more 30 minutes with the doc personally and a "game-plan" to try to confirm his diagnosis. Perhaps most important to me was that I felt that though neither critical or ground-breaking; my situation and my health mattered to this skilled surgeon; even though surgery is unlikely!
We talked briefly about personal matters not related to my health. I left feeling cared for and hopeful. I suppose that is a worthy outcome of any personal encounter; but all the more when such an accomplished individual is involved.
"Lord, give me the ability to extend that kind of care to everyone you send
my way in the new year".
Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment