My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Presenting Ourselves to God

There is a very well known, but challenging scripture that I want to reflect on today.

In Romans 12:1-2 Paul the apostle exhorts us to "present your body as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service."

I've been thinking in recent days about what it means to "present my body as a living sacrifice" which certainly includes things like


  • presenting my mind to the Lord for Him to fill with thoughts that are uplifting and encouraging as well as kingdom focused. This is not as easy as it sounds as I am tempted, like so many, to want to rest my mind in front of the TV or computer and often veer away from this simple exhortation.

  • - I need to present my hands and feet to Him as well. This has to do with carrying for others, acts of service and compassion and being willing to go where the Lord calls when He calls. This, too, requires a slaying of the "ego-centric" ways that I'm so often pulled to take care of myself and my own needs first and get to others if I can.

I am sure you could think of many other applications of this scripture to your life just as I can. The goal is that we "not be conformed to this world but transformed by the renewing of our minds" and that is a life-long process which we engage in one day at a time.

Growing with you,
Dr. Jay

No comments: