My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Hope of the Gospel

Today was a difficult day for me. Fairly early in the morning I received news that one of our members, a neighbor and friend who had been battling bone cancer for the last couple of years, went to be with Jesus in his sleep.

Hans Rieder was one of the most likeable men that I've met in a long time and he leaves behind a lovely wife, Teddi, and two small boys.

Hans was exceptional in his love for the outdoors and for all kinds of what are now termed "extreme sports." He was encouraging of me and my beginning attempts at road biking, etc., but I knew that I wouldn't have a prayer of keeping up with him if we ever got into some serious riding!

But as scripture says, it's not possible for this fleshly body to inherit eternal life. In fact 1st Corinthians 15:50 says, "I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God ...." and vs. 53 "For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: 'Death has been swallowed up in victory.'"

These verses in 1st Corinthians have great comfort for me in this time period. This is the very reason why death is a neccessary passage for every one of us who seek to make heaven our eternal home.

None-the-less, there are going to be some difficult days of grieving ahead and times of consolation and comforting that will be greatly needed for those many family members and friends that Hans left behind.

I'm thankful beyond words for the hope of the gospel. If it weren't for that then what answers would we give for what life is about and what happens after we die? No scientist, no philosopher, no medical professional can answer those questions the way that our faith and the Word of God does. "Death has been swallowed up in victory!"

Blessings,
Dr. Jay

No comments: