My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Open minds and hearts...

For nearly 30 years, I've brought an annual message on stewardship; sometimes even a series of messages if I felt led to do so. I can say with complete certainty that there has always been an extra "layer" of resistance when preaching those messages in past years. Response is usually muted, few people ask for copies of the CD and some even apologize to the friends they happened to bring for a visit!

That was not the case this week-end. In fact, I received an inordinate amount of positive feedback and sincere affirmation. Even while I was bringing the message, I could sense that the Church family was leaning "in", not putting up walls of resistance. What a difference!

Of course, I've been asking myself "why" this was so for the last day or so, and the answer is not
that I finally "got it right"! What the Lord seemed to show me was that for the first time in many years people recognize that they are NOT in control of their finances and that some very painful things may occur no matter what they do.

This has caused them to be open like never before to the promises of God's Word, and to consider that Kingdom finances are not dependent on circumstance, but on faith.

I pray that we are spared an economic calamity, but even if not, I know that we will most certainly have our needs met by our Heavenly Father if ..if..we honor Him with our "first fruits". How thankful I am for "open minds and open hearts"!

Pastor Jay

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The message woke me up. Not because of the economy, but because of your statement saying that money makes us believe we are in control. I have never realized that but it is true. Now that I see it for what it is, I want to give that control the Lord.
Thanks!

FinancialTeacher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dr. Jay's Blog said...

Question: How can someone not in Pittsburgh order a copy of this sermon on CD?

Answer: You can hear the message or download it from our website at www.northway.org

Dr. Jay's Blog said...

Thank you Pastor Jay for your very timely message on giving. How awesome it is to know that when we invest in the Kingdom of God, which “cannot be shaken,” God will provide for ALL of our needs.

God is faithful and His past performance IS an indication of future results!
Steve

Anonymous said...

Pastor Jay, our church in S. Carolina did a similar message that I watched online. I respect the difficulty in teaching about a tough issue in these economic times. You did a great job. Something else that really hit home for me was our pastor at home asked this question:
Which of these statements causes more anxiety in you? 1. There is no God. or 2. There is no money in the bank account. It really reaffirmed in me my eternal worth instead of econmic situation. It really is a heart issue.