My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Truth - A Sure Foundation

In my preparations for this weekend's message in Nehemiah I was struck by this quote from A.W. Tozer, well known preacher from early in the 20th century.  He wrote, "Truth is a glorious but hard mistress.  She never consults, bargains, or compromises."

In my conversations with different people over the past several months I have encountered just how much bright people resist the idea of absolute truth.  Everyone wants to be "tolerant" of other perspectives and the idea that there is an absolute truth and that it might be revealed to us in the person of Jesus is difficult for them to accept, if not offensive.

However, the application of this goes far beyond my perception of other people.  It also goes into the root of my own lifestyle choices, the way I spend my time, money and other resources.  It affects who I speak to, what I watch and read, and even how I think about the future.

The fact that God's Word is truth, means that it is pervasive in every area of my life and something to which I must have the courage to hold my life up to in order to see how closely I am walking in alignment with God's will and purpose.

On the other hand, God Himself is gracious and forgiving and when I do fail to walk in the light of the truth, He doesn't hold it over my head as a hammer, He lovingly forgives and restores me in a relationship of unmerited favor and blessing.

I wonder how many times I have selectively taken truth out of particular situations or decisions because I may not have wanted to know it.  In the end, it's the only way to build a life on a sure foundation that can't be moved.

Blessings,
Dr. Jay

No comments: