My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Country Music and Me

Over the last several days, guests in my office have been wondering "why" I've had some country music on in the background of my personal office space.

Without retelling the entire story, it all began about 6 weeks ago when my mother-in-law went to be with the Lord and I listened to Alan Jackson singing some of the classic hymns of the faith for several hours during that experience.

For some reason it made me investigate this genre of music that I have totally ignored for the past decades of my life only to find that there is an enormous breadth and depth of style, talent and, most of all, content to country music. I'm far from being able to say I'm a devotee but I am clearly intrigued by the clarity of the stories that are told in the songs of these talented artists and the values that many of them still are unashamed to sing about, including family, fidelity and faith.

And so, if you stop by my office and hear country music don't be surprised. It could be a very brief passing phase or it might be the beginning of something I should have understood a long time ago! (One of my current favorites is "The Breath You Take" by George Strait. )

Blessings,
Dr. Jay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Jay!
Growing up in Philadelphia, I wouldn't be caught dead listening to country music. I have always truly hated it! Unlike here in Pgh, it has a virtually silent following there. We grew up on rock n roll and R&B, mostly... Motown stuff. But a funny thing happened here in Pgh, and I believe God used country music, as well as my hopes and dreams, to draw me in. My lifelong dream of owning my own horse finally came true after we moved here to Baden! I wasn't yet a Christian. As a matter of fact, I was pretty opposed to the gospel then. But, since we had horses we found ourselves in the company of other "cowboys" and country music is what they play, and what we started hearing. That's when I started to really listen to the words to songs like "Love you this much" by Jimmy Wayne, and "Believe" by Brooks and Dunn. Songs like these resonated with my soul and began opening my heart to the possibilities of Jesus, and my eventual salvation. Country music was a catalyst that opened my heart.

I don't understand why or how God works in the ways that He does...or why He chose to draw me to Him...or how He used the things that I related to, desired, and understood, to awaken me, but I am ever grateful for His Wisdom and Grace to me.
Thanks for the amusing story, and the personal reminder of His amazing power.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Okay, I don't have a single thing to say about country music, because that hasn't clicked in my brain yet!

But I had to write and tell you what happened during the worship service last night. I brought Faith and Jonathan with me (who are now 3 1/2.) They did great for the first hour, lifting their little hands, clapping and eating their body weight in tic tacs.

As you were doing communion, Jonathan leaned over and hissed at me, with awe in his voice "Mom! They're eating Jesus's body! LOOK! They broke him up to bits!!!"

Needless to say, I had some explaining to do!

Thought you might like to hear that your youngest members ARE listening!

~Krissy