My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Friday, April 2, 2010

As We Contemplate Good Friday

As I write to you today it's the beginning of the 3 hours that we set aside in the Christian tradition to remember the suffering of Jesus on the cross on the day that we have designated "Good Friday."

There is way too much history to go into in a short blog about why this day has been named "Good Friday" except to say that it obviously has to do with the incredible act of reconciliation between God and man that was accomplished on the cross by those who put their faith in Jesus!

I do want to comment, however, on a news story today that continues to mystify and somewhat shock me.

Our culture seems to find no end to its efforts to marginalize the Christian faith. The largest internet search company in the world chose this day to celebrate the writings of "Hans Christian Anderson" which you'll see on any of their websites. It's a very distinct statement that they are not at all interested in a day that nearly 2 billion Christians find particularly sacred. In fact it's almost a direct statement against the recognition of that day.

It is unthinkable to me that any person or corporation would deem themselves of more importance or perhaps more influence to go "head to head" with 2,000 years of humble repentance. (Especially a corporation that's about 25 years old.)

I don't know that I need to say anything more. I think it's simply further affirmation that pride knows no boundaries and that man will forever be at odds with God until he discovers how desperately he needs Him.

That's what I hope to do this Good Friday as I contemplate what Jesus did for me and I trust you'll do the same in these hours.

Blessings,

Dr. Jay

No comments: