One of the most important experiences of our Christian life is the cultivation of the ability to hear God speak to your heart. Jesus made it pretty simple when he said “my sheep know my voice” (John 10:27). But I have to confess that I’m not always sure that I’m hearing His voice and not just my own or someone else’s when it comes down to it.
What I have come to discover is the more I follow those promptings that I believe are the voice of God, in essence I practice them, the more faithfully I can discern between God’s voice and a variety of others that are simply clogging the pipeline!
As John Eldredge says in his new book “Walking with God”, “an intimate, conversational walk with God is available. It’s normal, even.”
Blessings,
Pastor Jay
Hearing God Speak
Friday, July 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Our home group is rerunning the 2007 series on the Holy Spirit, and we've been talking about hearing God for several weeks. Frankly, we are trying hard to sort out God's voice from our own thoughts. On the DVD, you say to practice revealing things the Holy Spirit is saying in one on one situations with people and to build up your "reception" and "discernment."
We want this, but are unsure whether more prayer time or more time in the Bible or something else will help us draw closer.
Any thoughts on the best way to build this?
Post a Comment